News:

"Why do you call it soulriders?"
"Because we grind your souls, hopes, and dreams down ... and ride the wave."

Main Menu

D&D Monster Game

Started by Ebiris, March 02, 2008, 04:11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ebiris

I'm thinking of running an IRC D&D game where the PCs would all take the role of either Demons or Devils (or possibly some other form of monster associated with the lower planes) dealing with the scheming and trickery of infernal politics, the savagery of the Blood War, and the seduction and corruption of innocent mortals to the side of darkness.

The game would either run at any particular time on Sundays, or after 6pm on Mondays to Thursdays. Players would choose a particular type of fiend to play as, with a progression somewhat similar to what's outlined in Savage Species. I'd considered using gestalt rules, but as I'd rather have the PCs defined by their species rather than their class, I won't be doing that, but may allow for some re-working of certain species to allow for nonstandard roles if people want (for example, if someone wants to play an Imp with some rogue-type abilities, I'd work them into the racial progression for that character).

Ideally looking for 3-4 players. This will be a fairly short game, at most running up until D&D 4th ed comes out, at which point I'll start running something else (that'd be around June/July).

edit: All times posted are GMT, sorry.

Anastasia

I'm in on this if I can make the times. By 6 PM, do you mean 6 PM your time?

Anyway, I'd prefer devils or demons, since I'm not a huge fan of yugoloths or the lesser evil species, but whatever works.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Corwin

Demons! If only because they could totally plot if they wanted to!
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Iron Dragoon

I'm up for it, and my weekends and most weekday nights are open; excepting Tuesday and Thursday nights (due to college classes). This schedule should be stable, excepting any class changes via the professors.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Anastasia

Would we start with loot or 'bare', as most monsters are?
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

You'd start out with loot as appropriate to your challenge rating, rather than your effective character level (in other words, the loot you have is what a party of PCs would expect to win by killing you).

Sierra

Official post of interest. I could run at pretty much any time on Sundays. Weekdays...my times probably wouldn't synch up with yours as well.

Corwin

Cid! The succubus option is on the table. Wanna go for it? If so, think we could find sufficient space to specialize without stepping on each other's toes? Eb says it's basically +stats, +spell-likes, so I'm thinking customization is possible if we coordinate. Obvious jokes aside, any particular role you'd like your character to fill in as one of Iddy's Succubi?

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on March 05, 2008, 03:38:33 PM
Cid! The succubus option is on the table. Wanna go for it? If so, think we could find sufficient space to specialize without stepping on each other's toes? Eb says it's basically +stats, +spell-likes, so I'm thinking customization is possible if we coordinate. Obvious jokes aside, any particular role you'd like your character to fill in as one of Iddy's Succubi?

If I end up on board of this, I'd like to play something sneaky. More of the Deadly Female Assassin strain of the Succubi,  yeah?

<Afina> Forever.

Sierra

Hah. Cor, are you trying set us up as Charlie's Succubi here, or what?

Regardless of whether or not that happens (and personally, I'd say more party diversity is a good thing, though I'm inclined to run a succubus anyway), I very much want to play someone focused on manipulating foolish mortals to do her work for her. Not out of laziness! But because it's too much fun warping human emotions into their polar opposites and snickering at the ensuing bloodbath.

So yeah, definite spellcaster of some sort, mindraping a speciality. (Of course, the real pride that comes from your work is doing it without that whenever possible!)

Ebiris

In addition to increased hd, stat boosts, and spell likes, I'll offer some special class abilities as appropriate for your characters (this is probably going to wind up a pretty high powered game, but it's just for fun so I'm sure it'll work). For example Dune's assassin succubus could get stuff like sneak attack, death attack, hide in plain sight, and so on.

Anyway, I'll chat it over with you guys once I know what everyone's playing - jiggling abilities like this to keep everyone on par is more art than science. I might even just open up class progression if everyone plays the same demon type.

Corwin

Cid, if you're interested in manipulation, Chessmaster-style, and parlor tricks, then I would be more interested in the direct recruitement approach. There must be people out there just itching for an offer they can't refuse, and who better to provide them with it?

Iron Dragoon

Since I've seen more interest in an all succubus party, I wanted to toss this out while I can, before anything is set in stone.

I have interest in playing a Hezoru who had his life spared by a higher level demon via virtue of one of the succubus' (one of you players) bullshitting skills, basically. In return for the favor of getting my life spared, we made an agreement such as I had to protect/serve said player. If anyone is interested in going for this, let me know.

Now, that aside, I have no problem playing a succubus, if that's what everyone really wants to do. I just had the idea and wanted to see if anyone was interested.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Ebiris

Since it's now settled that we have a party of 4 succubi, here's some further info on chargen.

Roll 4d6 drop lowest for each stat.

Everyone is a succubus, so here's your racial traits.

+2 STR, +2 DEX, +2 CON, +6 INT, +4 WIS, +16 CHA.

You get +9 natural armour, Damage Reduction 10/Cold Iron or Good, Darkvision 60ft, Immunity to Electricity and Poison, Resistance to Acid, Cold, and Fire 10, Spell Resistance equal to 12 + hit dice, Telepathy 100ft, and a 1d6 claw attack (2 claws on a full attack)

Spell likes are Tongues (always on), and the following at will: Charm Monster, Detect Good, Detect Thoughts, Ethereal Jaunt (self plus 50 pounds of objects only), Suggestion, Greater Teleport (self plus 50 pounds of objects only). Caster level 12th.

Once per day a succubus can attempt to summon 1 vrock with a 30% chance of success. This spell-like ability is the equivalent of a 3rd-level spell. Note that summoning a vrock in this manner means you will owe it a favour, so the ability should not be used lightly.

A succubus drains energy from a mortal it lures into some act of passion, or by simply planting a kiss on the victim. If the target is not willing to be kissed, the succubus must start a grapple, which provokes an attack of opportunity. The succubus's kiss or embrace bestows one negative level. The kiss also has the effect of a suggestion spell, asking the victim to accept another kiss from the succubus. The victim must succeed on a Will save (DC 13 + Cha mod) to negate the effect of the suggestion. The DC 13 + Cha mod for the Fortitude save to remove a negative level.

As a Supernatural Ability you can assume the form of any Small or Medium humanoid.

You get 6 Outsider hit dice and 5 class levels. See here for details on what outsider hit dice give you: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#outsiderType

Your class skills for the Outsider hit dice are Bluff, Concentration, Diplomacy, Disguise, Escape Artist, Hide, Intimidate, Knowledge (any one), Listen, Move Silently, Search, Spot, Survival, and Use Rope.

Note you get a +8 racial bonus on Listen and Spot checks. Also, while using your change shape ability, you get a +10 circumstance bonus on Disguise checks.

For skill points, use your total intelligence after racial modifiers. You gain 1 extra point in any ability score at 8hd (your second class level). If that goes into intelligence, you only get the increased skill points from that level onwards.

Evil paladin variants are banned. I strongly suggest looking up prestige classes from the Fiendish Codexes, Book of Vile Darkness, and Fiend Folio, as they fit the theme of the game far more than wizards and monks do.

Everyone must be Chaotic Evil.

Sierra

Quote from: Corwin on March 06, 2008, 12:40:57 PMCid, if you're interested in manipulation, Chessmaster-style, and parlor tricks, then I would be more interested in the direct recruitement approach. There must be people out there just itching for an offer they can't refuse, and who better to provide them with it?

Yeah, I'm cool with breaking our roles up that way.

Need to think about mechanics more, but food time is soonish. Suggestions for a class from those who know more about them would be quite welcome, in the meantime.